Rules of the Road (League of American Bicyclists)
New Rider checklist
I understand the following Rules of the Road apply. I will:
- Inspect my bike before every ride and correct any deficiencies found, such as shifting issues and tire condition.
- Wear a helmet.
- Carry water (energy/drink/snacks on longer rides).
- Not wear ear buds.
- Ride single file and obey all rules of the road.
- Ride to the right, pass on the left, and always call out (“On your left”).
- Communicate hazards clearly using hand signals and verbal alerts.
- Follow directives from the Ride Leader.
Ride Leader responsibilities
- Provide a brief description of ride via email early in the week, to include: outline of the route, degree of difficulty, anticipated water stops and departure time & location.
- Provide a reminder email 2 days or so before the ride.
- Bring an AV Ride Signup List and have participants sign in during the pre-ride meeting.
- Although all AV riders are expected to know the posted route and/or have downloaded the GPS file, if provided, the ride leader shall know the route and provide direction if needed, both before and during the ride.
- The ride leader is not responsible for any or all participants, in addition, the group decides on the tempo, level of effort and whether to wait for slow riders.
- All AV ride participants are expected to be self-sufficient as well as have appropriate fitness for the scheduled ride and therefore the ride leader is not required to carry extra supplies, assist in mechanicals, review participant’s gear and fitness for suitability, or ride with slower participants.
- Ride leader decides if ride is to be cancelled based on weather or other environmental conditions.
- Ride leader decides if unknown guest participants are to be allowed on the scheduled ride.
- Produce a post ride report and deliver it via email to the group.
- Electronically deliver a copy of the AV Ride Signup List to the AV Ride Coordinator.